If you’re a big science fiction fan like me, then odds are that you’ve wanted to write one on your own at some point. If that’s the case, and if you’re a Christian, then here’s a list of 17 story prompts for you!
Story prompts are a great tool to help authors overcome writer’s block and/or it helps get the brain juices flowing to get a new story going. My favorite use of story prompts is to mix and match several prompts into one big messy story that ends up being a lot less messy than the slew of prompts that I started off with!
The story prompts in this list are going to really push Christian themes and characters, if you’re looking for prompts that will be a little lighter on that, then check out one of the other sci-fi prompt list that I have! They’re all safe to write with from a Christian perspective!
Without further ado, here are your prompts!
- You’re on a faraway planet in a small village that is often overlooked. One day, you overhear an order from the galactic government over you. That order is that all Christians are now enemies of the state.
- You’re in the middle of the largest war man has ever been through. It’s the whole universe against mankind. Trillions of trillions of aliens are bearing down on you. One day, a prophet of God comes along and shares a Word of the Lord on how you can defeat those aliens.
- You’re a farmer in the middle of nowhere on a planet that no one has ever heard of. One day, God shows you how to plant a certain crop. It does great. But then the major monopolies of the galaxy come after you because they’re not about to allow you to rise up and compete against them.
- Having explored space your whole life, you know a thing or two about what you should look for in a hospitable planet for humans. One day, you hear the audible Voice of God and He tells you to head somewhere that you’d never consider going otherwise.
- You’re a chaplain on a ragged warship that’s aimlessly exploring the fringes of the universe. One day, everything goes south and you can’t help but wonder if there’s a demon on board…
- You’re trying to smuggle Bibles into a society that is super anti-Christian and very advanced technologically. Their security systems cannot be matched worldwide, and all those cameras are searching for one thing: Bibles. Can you get God’s word into the right hands?
- The planet you call home is in the middle of a massive war. Bombs are falling all around you. You never thought you’d have to take up arms to fight for your survival, but here you are. Letting out one last prayer, you jump out of the trench you’re hunkered down in and you charge toward enemy lines.
- You’re on a planet that has suddenly experienced severe climate change thanks to its sun expanding in size. Your planet went from something comparable to the Garden of Eden to something that might be a lot closer to Sodom and Gomorrah after Lot escaped. You and your family are praying for all you’re worth–how is God going to come through for you?
- You’re a missionary trying to sneak into a supermax prison world to evangelize the worst criminals in the galaxy. Will you achieve your goals? Will God protect you?
- You’ve been kidnapped by one of the worst drug lords in your section of the universe. You’re not sure why he took you, out of anyone on your whole planet, but you have a sneaking suspicion that God might have had something to do with it.
- You’re in a nation that owns slaves. One day, one of the slaves announces that God demanded that they and their people be freed. How would a science fiction world fare against the same ten plagues that God sent down on Egypt?
- You’re watching as spaceships attack every church in your city. Outside, government agents are gathering Bibles o burn them. You’re holding one of the very first translations of the Bible and you’re not about to give it up.
- You encounter aliens and you can’t help but wonder if aliens are able to receive Christ. When the doors to your spaceship open, the first words from the aliens are, “Have you met the Lord our Christ?”
- Years ago, George Washington Carver asked God to show him the secrets of the universe. God laughed and told George that He would only show him the secrets of a peanut. Hundreds of amazing discoveries later, George Washington Carver may have singlehandedly saved the posy-Civil War South. Using that as inspiration, you ask God to show you the secrets of the universe as well. He laughs and tells you He’ll show you the secrets of…
- You’re using the latest and greatest technologies available to mankind to search the world for further evidence of the Bible. When those technologies leave you wanting, you go and develop a machine of your own to prove the Bible.
- You are one of several dozen researchers who have built a time machine. Each person puts their name in a basket to decide what time they want to go back to. Your name comes up first, and you’ve got a desire to meet a couple of Bible characters…
- You’re flying through space when your ship’s power suddenly dies. Before you can get out of your seat to see what’s the matter, an angel shows up and gives you a warning about what might happen if you continue on ahead.